[EnergyPlus_Support] sketch-up plugins: top down vs bottom up

All,

I get the impression that the plugin is developed to be used in the
bottom-up philosophy, i.e. the modeller start from scratch and develop
the model with EnergyPlus in mind. I am just wondering what happen if
we need to do something top-down, i.e. we have a complete sketch-up
model that was developed without considering EPlus.

The response from people when I told them about this sketch-up is:
"well that's good, I can give you my sketch-up model and then you can
cut down the simulation time". But I found out that it is not the
case, or at least not with my limited knowledge of sketchup.

My questions are:
1. Is my impression correct about bottom-up philosophy?
2. Is there any tips and tricks to convert any sketch-up model into
usable EPlus model?

Thanks,

Ery