From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of firebird_red
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 9:08 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Where do I start?

My project is a two story brick colonial house that has the center
third of the home open 18 feet. It's tightly insulated, wrapped in
tyvek and bricked on all faces. The house has a lot of glass area.
The windows are low-e double insulated glass with wood frames. They
are very tight assemblies, so the building has low infiltration loss.

The contractor who estimated heating and cooling loads in 1992
missed because warm air rises and cold air sinks. Hid design didn't
contemplate interaction between the two systems. He treated the
building as two independent floors in his estimate. The result is
the systems were undersized. The upstairs is to small for cooling
and the downstairs is too small for heating. The consequence of the
error is the downstairs system falls back to resistance heating with
a COP of 1.0 during the night when there is no solar gain. A
contractor looking at the plans says increasing the first floor
system by 1/2 ton will cause it to be excess size for cooling. He
says it will have short run times, so won't adequately remove latent
heat.

I would like to do heat loss and solar gain calculations for this
project so this time the HVAC equipment will be the correct size for
the job. I want to do an hourly analysis, bin-wise using TMY2
weather data.

I downloaded EnergyPlus and I'm overwhelmed. I'm not sure if it is
the correct tool. Can someone tell me if this package will do what
I need and where to start with this?