[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Minimum Inlet Air Temperature for Heat Pump

Dear Ana,

Many heat air-to-air pumps which were made in the last 20-30 years
cannot provide useful refrigeration effect at temps colder than about
5C.  In addition, their refrigeration circuit may have operational
problems at those temps.
For that reason, systems installed in cold climates used backup
heating from gas or electricity during the relatively short periods
with cold temps.

I suspect that more recent recent heat pump models can operate at
colder temps, but am not sure about this.  It may be a good choice for
you to add backup electric resistance heating for temps when the heat
pump does not function.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "anarui.oliveira"