[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Input 3 D Autocad files in Energy plus.

Hi,
in EnergyPlugged surfaces selection is limited to AutoCAD regions.
EnergyPlugged recognizes regions that are composed by a single closed
shape made up of lines (no holes within).

The easiest way to draw walls, roofs, floors... is to start drawing a
3D Solid for each zone. Then explode it to get a region from each
planar side. Then continue drawing closed lines and convert them into
regions for windows, doors, shading elements?
You can also import mesh from other CAD programs then convert them
into regions ("region" and select it). Multiple coplanar regions can
be united ("union"), subtracted ("subtract") and intersected
("intersect"). So if you have a planar surface composed by multiple
regions you can convert them into a single region.
Search in the AutoCAD help "3d solid", "explode" and "region" to get
more informations.

You can get geometry data from a region by launching EnergyPlugged
("EPLUGGED") then expanding the <<Thermal Zone Description/Geometry>>
group on the Class List tree and selecting one of
Surface:HeatTransfer, Surface:HeatTransfer:Sub,
Surface:Shading:Detached:Fixed, Surface:Shading:Detached:Building,
Surface:Shading:Attached. You will see the Select... button active on
the right above the Object Detail table. Click on this button and
follow the instructions in the AutoCAD command line (select a region
you previously have drawn...).
After having inserted as many tables as surfaces, EnergyPlus requires
that you add a single SurfaceGeometry table (you can find it in the
same <<Thermal Zone Description/Geometry>> group). In this object you
specify the same "rules" you have kept before (VertexEntry=CCW,
SurfaceStartingPosition=LLC if you haven't changed them).

Marcello

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gv.deepak"