[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Interior windows, opaque surfaces

Rob.

It's clear what is supposed to be happening, but I think I have a
model here that broke your code.  Some zones are reporting, some are
not, but all zones are identical.  Can we discuss this offline?

To be clear about my situation, it is a very simple full glass double
skin exterior zone in front of interior zones with full glass wall to
the skin zone.  The skin zone is much bigger than the interior zones,
so there is no shading of the interior zone by the exterior zone.  The
wall is due east, so it is a simple matter to understand when to
expect solar on the windows and how much to expect.

Any way I add it up, in zones that report beam or not, my model is
giving me numbers in "Zone Diff Solar from Interior Windows" roughly
expected for total direct+diffuse solar through the interior window.
The beam component, when reported is much smaller than the diffuse,
which makes no sense.  I have calculated this using a number of
methods:  SHGC of the two windows of the double skin zone with Surface
Ext Solar Incident, SHGC of the interior window with Window
Transmitted Solar.  Both work out in the range of the Zone Diff Solar
value reported.  I realize that beam turns to diffuse at the first
bounce, but the reflectivity of any of my glass layers is fairly
small, so the discrepancy doesn't make sense.

How about Beam Solar Transmitted through Interior Window?  And why is
there no Diffuse Solar Transmitted...?  I really need to be able to
trace solar energy as it moves into and through the building, and
things are not adding up, and/or the report variables are undocumented
or incorrectly documented.

Your description of "Initial Transmitted Diffuse..." makes sense.
Seems strange to have this variable accessible and not be able to get
"Initial Transmitted Beam..."  That is the reason for this?  I can't
see any use for the former alone.

Let me know if I can contact you offline.

r3