Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Insulating the roof

Actually, what you really got as an answer in the Designbuilder forum does not match what you say below...

"Depending on the other materials used in the building, the weather file etc. you may find there is little or no difference based on the insulation installed in the roof.

My experience has included several buildings of this type, where, depending on climate, the temperature and energy consumption of HVAC are more or less entirely driven by internal gains. Insulating the walls, even with (riduculously) huge amounts of insulation makes little if any difference.

What are the parameters of your simulation? Would you care to post the simulation in order to have someone take a look at it? "

The answer is perfectly correct -- there can be buildings that are entirely driven by internal gains and insulation may not help -- may actually hurt.

If you care to share your input file with either the DB forum or us, we can help you figure out the discrepancies.