Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Insulating the roof

Always, always export your DB model to IDF and run from EnergyPlus native and check inputs and summary tables before trusting the DB model.  DB is a black box with too many unknowns, while E+ is as transparent as it can get.  Use both to take advantage of the clarity of E+ and the data management of DB.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Insulating the roof

Check the construction properties of the roof in the E+ input file
generated by DB. Changing the roof insulation in DB should result in a
change in the roof properties. If this does not happen you will not see
a change in results. Also look at the cooling and heating energy instead
of the total energy if you have not done so already. With increased roof
insulation, cooling energy use should be reduced and heating energy use
will increase. Although I find it hard to believe that changes in
cooling and heating energy offset each other in hot dry climates, it is
possible that the total energy did not change significantly.

--
Richard A. Raustad
Senior Research Engineer

UCF - From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years

http://groups..yahoo.com/group/EnergyPlus_Support/