RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Insulating the roof

I may have missed the earlier input to this topic.

I did not see any relative size and type of roof mentioned in the discussion.

I owned a bungalo in Malaysia in the 60.s, and I had white roof tiles and had insulation and reflective layer installed under the tiles.  So this is an  insulated roof.  There were a number of houses of the same design in the area, and mine was definitely cooler inside.

If you have the plenum well  insulated, of course, more insulation under the roof may not make any difference.

I am now in Canada, the practice is to vent the attic space and insulate the ceiling.  In this way, the roof is not constructed for thermal insulation .

It is not a simulation or energy usuage problem.  The construction of the roof and ceiling must be acturately presented in the model, if you are studying the property of the roof.   The result may have no impact on the energy usage of the whole building and therefore need not be insulated.

If the roof area is very small compared with the total floor area, as in a high rise, its insulation requirement can be totally ignored.

For a bungalow and cathdral type ceiling construction, the roof insulation definitely improves comfort.

Dr. Li.