Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Mechanical Rooms

Hi JV;

Thanks for your thoughts. A few things:

Just for background: the CaGBC version of LEED is in my understanding pretty close to the USGBC version. One difference that is pertinent to this discussion is that the LEED Canada allows the use of either ASHRAE 90.1 or the Model National Energy Code for Buildings (a Canadian energy code based largely on ASHRAE 90.1 that was developed by the the Canadian government) for the evaluation of EA credits.

With respect to the mechanical room issue: so, were you me, would I be correct in understanding that because 90.1 requires the modeling of all spaces as heated cooled, you'd simply create a system, identical in both "proposed" and "baseline" cases, to condition the mechanical room space? Also, would I be correct in assuming that doing this renders the question of process heat gains from equipment in the mechanical room somewhat irrelevant?

Finally, with regard specifically to the process gains, the main thing I was concerned about was the boilers. In this particular building there are 3 of them, each with a seasonal efficiency of around 90%; it seems to me that the "other" 10% of the heat they generate would be discharged to the mechanical room, and would not be insignificant...

Josh