From: Richard Raustad <RRaustad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 8:23:06 PM
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Window operation by wind direction

You will have to set up schedules based on the weather file data. You
will also need to use AirFlowNetwork objects. You also need at least 2
windows open for air to move through the zone.

See the documentation for SCHEDULE:FILE: COMMA. This schedule type points
to a file with 8760 hours of data. You must use the weather converter
program to convert the weather file to csv format. Then open the weather
csv file in a spreadsheet and set up IF statements to calculate your
schedules.

For example:

If you had 4 windows facing different directions, you would need 4
schedules.

In the weather file (csv format), data in column R = WindDir, column
S=WindSpeed

Formula In column AF20: IF(R20> 0, IF(R20<=90,1, 0),0)
Formula In column AG20: IF(R20> 90, IF(R20<=180, 1,0),0)
Formula In column AH20: IF(R20> 180, IF(R20<=270, 1,0),0)
Formula In column AI20: IF(R20> 270, IF(R20<=360, 1,0),0)

Make your formula's do whatever you like.

Then save the file in csv format. Change the name to something simple,
like WindowSchedules. csv

Look at the example file 5ZoneTDV for an example use of Schedule:File: Comma.

Yours will look something like this:

SCHEDULE:FILE: COMMA,
NorthWindowSchedule , !- Name
Any Number, !- ScheduleType
DataSets\WindowSche dules.csv, !- Name of File
32, !- Column Number
20; !- Rows to Skip at Top

SCHEDULE:FILE: COMMA,
EastWindowSchedule, !- Name
Any Number, !- ScheduleType
DataSets\WindowSche dules.csv, !- Name of File
33, !- Column Number
20; !- Rows to Skip at Top

SCHEDULE:FILE: COMMA,
SouthWindowSchedule , !- Name
Any Number, !- ScheduleType
DataSets\WindowSche dules.csv, !- Name of File
34, !- Column Number
20; !- Rows to Skip at Top

SCHEDULE:FILE: COMMA,
WestWindowSchedule, !- Name
Any Number, !- ScheduleType
DataSets\WindowSche dules.csv, !- Name of File
35, !- Column Number
20; !- Rows to Skip at Top

--
Richard A. Raustad