[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Mechanical Rooms

This is from the Bldg-Sim List and seems relevant.  Just passing it
on.... (Didn't remember this before posting the last time.)

I have a mechanical room that is conditioned to 95 in cooling through
exhaust fans and heated to 65 with unit heaters.
Do the exhaust fans constitute as a cooling system?  The system would
need to provide a sensible capacity of 5 btu/h*ft2 for the mech room
to be considered to be a cooled space, which I have not yet calculated.
The reason I as is that if these exhaust fans are not considered a
cooling system then the baseline cooling system will need to be
modeled to complete an accurate LEED model.
Any suggestions?

There definitely seems to be some variability out there on how it's
handled.
There are several LEED CIRs posted on the LEED website for situations
that seem similar to this.  My take on it is that if you are only
ventilating the spaces, the ventilation fans don't need to be counted
as a cooling system; thus, you do not need to model a cooling system
for these spaces.  However, the fan energy does need to be accounted
for in both the  proposed and baseline models.  So, they basically
become energy neutral in the models and/or are treated kind of like a
process energy load.
If others have a different interpretations, I'd appreciate hearing the
feedback.

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "JV Dirkes II" <jvd2pe@...>

EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<EnergyPlus_Support%40yahoogroups.com>,