[EnergyPlus_Support] Residential modelling, Sketchup & Heat Loss Calc

Hi: I'm new to Energyplus, just getting up to speed.

I'm mostly hoping to use it for energy modeling/analysis of
residential, mostly single-family homes. My challenge is to do so in a
cost-effective manner.

I need to develop "Manual J" heat loss calculations (they don't have
to literally be Manual J, but they have to be accurate and break down
to the level of heat gain/loss per room).

I am just looking into the Sketchup design plugin.

My question is: Does this seem practical? Are there any other tools
you would recommend? How much time, once I am familiar with the
program, do people think it would take to do a house? Is anyone else
doing this type of thing (vs. commercial building use)?

The houses I work on often have the somewhat unusual features that
make other modeling software marginal: radiant floors, green roofs,
superinsulation, etc. That's why I'm leaning towards EP.;

Thanks for any help.

Keith