[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: solar collector to sky radiator

Ed Cox

As I remeber, accroding to a book, I hv forgotten the title, a sky
radiator is covered with a 'screen' or glazed to prevent covective
heat gain fromm the surrounding air.
I dunno the energyplus can stimulate to what extent.....
Anyway, thanks for your advice, I will check out the EP v3 .

Ian

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Edwin Cox <ebcox@...>
wrote:

> I haven't looked at the model in detail, but I suspect that the
solar collectors in Energy Plus are glazed. If so, they would not be
able to take efficient advantage of radiation into the atmosphere as
a mechanism of heat disposition for nighttime cooling.

> The solution would be creation of a solar collector model for
Energy Plus that is based on an unglazed collector. This could be an
example of PV-thermal - a PV panel which has been fitted with heat
transfer plates and tubing to collect heat during the daytime. See
http://www.pv-t.org for examples. Danny Parker at Florida Solar
Energy Center developed a very interesting schema of nighttime
heating using a "Cool Roof" concept. He showed that one could expect
cooling of approximately 75 W/m2 in typical conditions in many
locations in the U.S. This is not a huge amount, not nearly as much
as the amount of heat available during the day, but could be
significant with sufficient area, especially if it is "free".

> Ed Cox

that the capacity of the panels is about 6 kW for heating.?The night
time heat loss was a small fraction of this number.?I may be wrong in
reading the result. as?I have just installed  the Version 3.0, and
some of the variables have different names.

> ?>
> If you are still interested in knowing what is wrong with your IDF
file, I suggest that you up-load the IDF file to this group.?Some one
may have a look at it.

> ?>
> I have students working on solar panels at the University of
Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, years ago (1960's).?The panel temperature was
not very low at night.?The panel temperature follows the outdoor
temperature and lower by about 3 to? °C.?The day time panel
temperature can reach about 80°C.?