Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Solar radiation components in Bin weather file

Eric,

If measured solar data is available, then by all means you should get it.
However, make sure first that the weather bureau is indeed providing measured
radiation, and not calculating it from other parameters, since recording solar
radiation is not standard operating practice for typical weather stations. If
you can get measured solar, consider yourself very lucky.

The only critical measured radiation values are the global horizontal, and the direct
normal radiation. Everything else can be calculated from these two.
If your weather bureau can provide only the global horizontal, you will need to use
a model to do the direct/diffuse split.

The DOE-2 *.BIN file contains just the global horizontal and direct normal.
I'm surprised you're thinking of creating an EPW and then translating it to BIN.
I've been doing the opposite - create first a "bare bones" *.BIN file, and then
filling out the additional data needed for an EPW.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.