[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Solar radiation components in Bin weather file

Thank you all for the guidence, Joe, Fred, and Linda.

DOE-2 *.BIN seems to be a binary format which could not be edited
via a text editor straightforward in my brain. So I chose the epw
format as the
bridge. Am I missing some tool used to edit the bin file directly?

Eric

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe Huang" <joe@...>
wrote:

> Eric,
>
> If measured solar data is available, then by all means you should
get it.
> However, make sure first that the weather bureau is indeed
providing measured
> radiation, and not calculating it from other parameters, since
recording solar
> radiation is not standard operating practice for typical weather
stations. If
> you can get measured solar, consider yourself very lucky.
>
> The only critical measured radiation values are the global
horizontal, and the direct
> normal radiation. Everything else can be calculated from these two.
> If your weather bureau can provide only the global horizontal, you
will need to use
> a model to do the direct/diffuse split.
>
> The DOE-2 *.BIN file contains just the global horizontal and
direct normal.
> I'm surprised you're thinking of creating an EPW and then
translating it to BIN.
> I've been doing the opposite - create first a "bare bones" *.BIN
file, and then
> filling out the additional data needed for an EPW.
>
> Joe Huang
> White Box Technologies, Inc.

Diffuse
>   Horizontal Radiation. I would think three items impact on the
results.
>   How about the BIN file? Is it enough to get the Global
horizontal Solar