From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Emanuele Naboni
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:59 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] weather file for park merced (south san francisco)

Thank you Joe,

Yes, seems like micro climate conditions are quite determinant for energy performances.
Thanks anyway for your extended answer!

Emanuele Naboni

PhD Building Science, LEED AP, EU licensed architect

+1.510.395.7241

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Joe Huang <joe@drawbdl.com> wrote:

Emanuele,

Yes, there are many microclimates in San Francisco, but unfortunately only
two active weather stations - one at SFO and the other at the Civic Center.
This reminds me of some work I did about 15 years trying to simulate a
building
at the San Francisco Presidio, and looking around for a better weather
file.
There used to be a station at the Presidio, but that's been defunct for
30+ years.
The other possibilities are to go up and down the coast, and find some
station
with data, such as Arena Point, etc., but then you're trading off
geographical
distance and sparseness of data against closeness to the coast. You
could also
cull local sources of weather data, such as PG&E or CMIS. Or, you might
be able to get sparse data, i.e., max/min temperatures, etc. (I have a
set from
EarthInfo that I haven't looked at yet), for a closer stations and then
run that against
the detailed hourly data from a first-order station to "learn" the
pertubations and
get a hourly data set, but that's a research project (ASHRAE Weather
Committee
is actually working on a Work Statement (RFP) in this area).

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies