[EnergyPlus_Support] Unexpected Results When Comparing FixedSlatAngle and BlockBeamSolar

Dear all,

In order to optimize blind controls for an office building, we compared results for both exterior blinds and blinds between glass.
 For slat angle control 'FixedSlatAngle' and 'BlockBeamSolar' were used.

We expected the combination of exterior blinds and blockbeamsolar control to have the lowest zone cooling loads.

Simulation results showed:

1) Simulating Exterior Blinds:
Zone cooling loads are lower when 'FixedSlatAngle' control (45 deg) is used rather then using 'BlockBeamSolar'.
How is this possible when the latter option blocks all direct radiation?
Is there any known issue with combining exterior blinds and 'BlockBeamSolar'?

2) Simulating Blinds Between Glass:
As expected, zone cooling loads were lower when 'BlockBeamSolar' was used.
Comparing with exterior blinds, blinds between glass (with blockbeamsolar control) showed significantly lower zone cooling loads than exterior blinds with the same control strategy (up to 20 percent).
Why would between glass blinds generate lower zone cooling loads then exterior blinds?

3) Regarding slat angles with blockbeamsolar control:
Slat Angles varied over time as expected, but slat angles greater than 90deg occured around noon.
We expected the blinds to be closed (0 deg) at that time.

In order to make sure there were no flaws in our model, we resimulated the combinations of blind position and slat control using the example file 'PurchAirWindowBlind.idf' and got the same results.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Carina