[EnergyPlus_Support] Modifying a weather file to reflect "real" weather

Dear E+ forum,

I'm busy trying to understand weather files well enough to create one that runs well in E+ and contains the ACTUAL weather for a period of interest (the utility billing periods for the most recent ~12 months).

Obtaining actual temperature and humidity data doesn't look too challenging, but solar data appears to be more complicated.  Some of the weather data I have found includes an indicator for cloud cover, which seems to be the place to start, since the sun does the same thing every day above the clouds.

Since the E+ weather documentation is hard to follow, I'm hoping that someone has recommendations for how to plug in cloud cover data so that E+ actually uses it properly.  Guidance anyone?

While I'm at it, are there other weather factors worth considering?

Thanks!