[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Modifying a weather file to reflect "real" weather

Dear Chris,

My normal modelling site is within 200 miles of home (Grand Rapids, MI) and I agree that "actual" solar data is hard to find.

2005 data is way too old in my opinion, for modeling an existing building.  Building usage almost always is different that far in the past and can be a significant factor in energy use.  I really want to match up the most recent usage patterns (as reflected in utility bills)  and weather in one model.

I already subscribe to NNDC's data service, which is helpful.  They do not report any solar information, however.  NREL does have some data (with a lot of missing time periods for the closest station), but they have a cloud cover data field which I'm hoping may be useful.  As mentioned in a post roughly a month ago, wunderground.com also has some good info.

I'm still hoping that someone has incorporated actual cloud cover data or an equivalent into an E+ weather file....