[EnergyPlus_Support] winter design day

Hi Folks,

I'm new to EnergyPlus, and a total noob when it comes to HVAC, so please be gentle!  Here's my first newbie question:

While learning about design days I was confused by the fact that all of the winter design days in the example weather data have a 0 daily temperature range modifier.  Searching the input\output reference yielded this note:

"Note that usual Winter design conditions are for very cloudy days (clearness = 0), and low temperatures (temperature range=0)."

Unfortunately no explanation is given why low temperatures should have 0 for the daily temperature range...?  This is one of those things that is probably obvious to an HVAC pro, but it's not at all clear to me why a winter design day should not bother with highs and lows in the temperature range.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!