RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: winter design day

Thanks, Dru

For providing the ASHRAE reference.

Actually the original poster has given his own answer by quoting.

"Note that usual Winter design conditions are for very cloudy days
(clearness = 0), and low temperatures (temperature range=0)."

The fixed  outdoor temperature for the 24 hour period does not mean that the heating load change of the building is also zero.  There are other variables in the simulation.

I use the DesignDay simulation all the time, because I am the only person in this group still using a slow Pentium I, WindowsME PC.

In addition to the heating and cooling load sizing, I also use it to verify the correct expansion of the  schedules and the use of temperature setpoints, and  to verify the People, lights on weekdays, holidays, etc. are correctly calculated.  It is so simple to get the 24  outdoor temperature numbers by changing only two numbers (Max. and range.)  Of course, you can enter zero for SummerDesignDay as well.  It will happen on a rainy day.

For places like Malaysia, Singapore and HongKong, there is no snow cover nor severe Winter.  My WinterDesignDay is a rainy cloudy day.  It is very flexible and convenient to change and use.

So feel free to change the field values, and observe the effects and make the most of it.

Of course, if you are submitting an energy  Green Star report, for example, you need to follow the ASHRAE standard.

 Dr. Li