[EnergyPlus_Support] Improved PCM-model

Dear mr. Witte,

Our company use EnergyPlus for some time now to consult on energysaving in buildings with advanced energy concepts. We like to work with EnergyPlus because it offers superior capabilities for modeling multizone buildings and modeling the use/control of the building including occupant-behaviour.

One of our clients is involved in research on phase change materials and likes us to calculate the effect of various PCM applications on energy use in buildings. We discussed with the client the current PCM-model as described in the engineering reference. Our client rejected the model because it does not take into account the effect of subcooling and therefore could not provide accurate results. They proposed an alternative for simulation of PCM based on recent work of Eva Gunther et al (MSMSE 15 (2007) 879-892; Modeling of subcooling and solidification of phase change materials).

If necessary I can send you the article mentioned in pdf. But since I don't know how to do this through [this] e-mail form of the EnergyPlus Support Forum, you could send me an e-mail on a.vandebree@xxxxxxxxx requesting the article. The article describes in detail a new algoritme for PCM including subcooling and some validation work.

Our client asked us to investigate the possibility to implement in EnergyPlus the new algoritme for PCM including the subcooling-effect. As far as we know there is no option (at the moment) in EnergyPlus to interact with MatLab or other tools capable of programming your own algoritmes. The only alternative then is to ask you if there is a way to improve the current PCM-object through the EnergyPlus-team. Could you inform us about the options?

Looking forward to your response,

A. van de Bree
Ecofys Netherlands BV