FW: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: *.Rvi File Question

Tobias,

It's fairly simple.. RVIs and MVIs a set of text files that you can edit with Notepad (they are described in the InputOutput Reference). An RVI (or MVI) starts with the name of the .ESO file (by default, while running E+ -- eplusout.eso) and the name of the output file (defaults to eplusout.csv).  It then has a list of output variables (in the RVI) or meter names (in the MVI).  The last line is a 0.  There are several examples in the ExampleFiles directory.  By default, it is assumed that you have a single RVI or MVI.  But you can create your own to specific parts of the buildings.  A recent set of run I did had 17 different RVIs such as Windows, Envelope, Solar Gains, Zone Conditions, etc.  That made it easier to look at the data in Excel. I created a separate batch file but below is an example of how you might edit the Epl-run.bat (which EP-Launch uses).

First, to figure out which variables are applicable to your simulation, add (or make sure you already have) this line to your IDF (or edit it in IDF Editor):

Output:VariableDictionary,IDF,Unsorted;

When you run your simulation, you'll have a new file (if you didn't already) with the extension of .RDD.  If you use the form above (IDF), then the variables will already be in IDF format. You can then just cut and paste the variables you want from the RDD to your IDF (in Notepad or IDF Editor).

Next you can edit (with Notepad), the file called Epl-run.bat to include your RVIs, it will automatically run them when you use EP-Launch.

You would need to add lines in Section 6 similar to:

IF EXIST eplusout.inp postprocess\ReadVarsESO.exe eplusout.inp %rvset%
IF NOT EXIST eplusout.inp postprocess\ReadVarsESO.exe " " %rvset%
IF EXIST eplusmtr.inp postprocess\ReadVarsESO.exe eplusmtr.inp %rvset%
IF NOT EXIST eplusmtr.inp echo eplusout.mtr >test.mvi
IF NOT EXIST eplusmtr.inp echo eplusmtr.csv >>test.mvi
IF NOT EXIST eplusmtr.inp postprocess\ReadVarsESO.exe test.mvi %rvset%

For example, say I had an RVI on solar gains called SolarGains.RVI and a MVI on lighting meters called LightingMeter.RVI.  So I could add to the lines above:

IF EXIST eplusout.inp postprocess\ReadVarsESO.exe eplusout.inp SolarGains.RVI
IF EXIST eplusmtr.inp postprocess\ReadVarsESO.exe eplusmtr.inp LightingMeter.MVI

You will probably also have to add a line renaming the output from the ReadVarsESO... something along the lines of:
IF EXIST eplusout.csv MOVE eplusout.csv "%output_path%%1SolarGains.csv"