RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Tutorial example in instruction Exercise 1B.

Tho IO reference manual is a good on-line tutorial documant.

It gives you the general function or application of each object, detailed meaning and requirement of each field. and an example  IDF entry.

When you are doing the exercise 1A in the basicFiles, for example, cheat a little by looking at the solution, then look up each new objects in the IO manual, and you will learn just as fast.

About the IDFeditor or the text editor, you should try both.

I seldom use the IDFeditor. I use it mainly to clean up the unwanted lines and comments after many text file editing, and sort the IDF into a standard format.

Most objects can be entered in any orders, except the branches of a plant loop, for example.  Unfortunate, the IDFeditor will not correct this problem by sorting the granch objects.

I use cut and paste from the IO manual, dataset files, and example files using a text editor.   I can now also use the Macro set to enter similar objects, use the include files, and to conditionally run the simulation sections.  Version 4 EMS has open up many new possibilities.

IDFeditor or text editor?  It all depends on whether you are an engineer/architect with computer programming experience, or a Window GUI application user.

You may also treat this Yahoo group as an online tutor group.

 Dr. Li