[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Weather file of College Station - Texas

Joe,

As I have mentioned to this forum earlier, the quality of TMY3 is lower
than that of TMY2, due to the shorter database (15 years rather than
30), and the much lower quality of the cloud input data to the radiation
model. That is why I asked Dru to keep the TMY2 database alive on the E+
website.

I agree with you that a more specific study is desirable for College
Station, and more generally for all sites where both TMY2 and TMY3 are
available. Many surprises are likely...

Chris

----------

Chris,

Thanks for actually delving into this, rather than leaving it at the
"anomalous, but not outside of the realm of possibility" stage.

The June in the College Station file is from 2004, so it might be
interesting to see what the other models show for that actual historical
period. If the results are also as divergent as what you show below,
then I'd say there is indeed something wrong.

Eman's question motivated me to compare the monthly DNIs for Texas
stations in the TMY3 and TMY2 files. The TMY3 files showed much more
variability, so much that there were no discernable seasonal trends.

Joe

--
Chris A. Gueymard, PhD
Solar Consulting Services