[EnergyPlus_Support] Residential modeling

I am looking for a building/house simulation and energy analysis software that I can be used to study the effects of passive solar design on energy use in a modern style southern house. The house features tall sloped ceilings, no attic, insulated exterior surfaces, massive interior masonry/concrete elements, large insulated glass window walls, and a simple mechanical equipment layout (up-right flow through unit with a single supply air duct).

The graphic input was relatively simple ( I am using OpenStudio with Google SketchUp) but running the gas furnace with DX cooling, an EnergyPlus example file, has me questioning the programs ability.

Is EnergyPlus capable of performing a building/house energy simulation studies on complex geometric objects?

Sincerely,

Bob

Robert Ruth, AIA, LEED-GA

P.O. Box 38268