From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of tobiasschulzeoooitu
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:24 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: AFN Node Pressure Distribution & Air
Density & STACK

Dear Lixing (or anybody else who was dealing with this before),

one more - may be a misunderstanding with the therm "thermal chimney" in the
correspondence before.
1) Is it possible to use the AFN for a internal stack connecting zones in
different floors, which is not utilizing solar radiation to enhance the
natural ventilation - only using the inside outside temperature differences
and stack hight (chimney - but no solar chimney).
2) I also read some different opinions about an atrium design with vertical
zone stratification. Is that generally possible with horizontal openings
(not considering entering solar radiation)? Or should here better used a
single central and tall zone?

Thank you again,
Tobias

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "stray359" <steve.d.ray@...>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know the planned future work for the AirFlowNetwork model? Are
any capabilities currently being expanded for future E+ versions?

> From whom or where can I find out?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Steve
>
> --- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lixing Gu <gu@> wrote:
> >
> > Tobias:
> >
> > The existing AirflowNetwork model does not address the thermal chimney
yet.
> > A horizontal opening is manly used to introduce a circular flow between
two
> > zones.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Lixing

Cd=1).
> > With the one zone chimney i had a faster decrease of flow rates from
bottom
> > to higher floors than with the multi zone model.
> > Anyway, my question is, if it is a meaningful way to connect more than 2
> > zones vertically by horizontal openings? What are the restictions here?
> > There is one example file available, where only two zones are stacked
> > (AirflowNetwor_Multizone_HorizontalOpening.idf). Would the model work,
if
> > more zones are stacked, for example in stairways, elevator stack, atrium
or
> > double skin facade? I wonder if the AFN Restriction In-Out-Ref also
counts
> > for horizontal openings connections or if it was written before the
> > introduction of horiz.open. in E+.
> >
> > "Air circulation and/or air temperature stratification within thermal
zone.
> > For example, you should not try to divide a high space, such as an
atrium,
> > into subzones separated by artificial horizontal surfaces that have
cracks
> > or openings with the expectation that AirflowNetwork will give you a
> > realistic temperature in each subzone and/or a realistic air flow
between
> > subzones."
> >
> > If you would know a reference dealing with a similar problem, that would
be
> > also helpful for me.
> > Best regards,
> > Tobias
> >

> > --- In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Lixing Gu <gu@> wrote:
> > >
> > > My answers are under your questions.
> > >
> > > 1a) Where is the Zone_Node situated Floor/ceiling/center?
> > >
> > > A: Center.
> > >
> > > 1b) Is there a link to the room-air-model (temperature at a specific
> > height
> > > - if not mixed air)?
> > >
> > > A: No.
> > >
> > > 1c) could you please give the formuala for the zone 'AirflowNetwork
Node
> > > Total Pressure'? Especially how is the zone static pressure
calculated?

> > > A: The model uses the total pressure, The static pressure is not
> > calculated
> > > alone. The section of AirflowNetwork model in the Engineering
Reference