RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] DirectIndirectEvapCoolers.idf

Dear Lori,

A couple of thoughts:

I’ve recently completed some models using indirect evap with DX.  E+ works OK for some configurations, but not all (at least not without some “Workarounds”).  Generally, it’s not a good idea to couple direct evap and DX  because of the fact that a direct evap cooler removes no energy from the air (it’s adiabatic).

There are a couple of manufacturers who make the indirect + DX type of equipment currently, and they generally use either:

·         A constant volume supply fan with constant volume exhaust fan.  The exhaust fan draws evaporatively cooled air across the DX condenser for additional performance improvement.

·         An all-variable-volume version of the above.

E+ models the first version fairly straightforwardly.  The second version needs some help from you, largely because E+ doesn’t know how to make the exhaust fan Variable speed.

I recently completed a paper for the upcoming ASHRAE Winter conference in which I compared performance for traditional DX against a couple versions of indirect evap plus DX in dry climates.  I don’t think I can share the paper yet, but I can send you an IDF or two to help you.  In short, it appears that you can’t save much energy by using a cycling (on/off) fan control.  For variable speed fans, it appears that you can save substantial energy if your indirect evap effectiveness exceeds 75% or so.  For a very high effectiveness indirect evap system, check out www.coolerado.com. (Other such systems may be available, but I don’t know about them.)

Please send me a private message and I’ll attach the IDFs.

p.s., If anyone else has interest, I’ll post it to the E+ files on Yahoo.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504