Keep in mind there are many ways to modify a specific simulation. In this example, the decay curve when the system was off (HVAC not responsible for zone temperature change) tells me that either the inputs are incorrect (thermal characteristics of building materials) or the simulation does not accurately represent the actual building. By changing the zone capacitance, you may just be compensating for inputs that are incorrect. Such as thermal capacitance of building materials or internal furnishings.

You must ensure that the inputs are entered correctly first, and then use the capacitance term to calibrate the model. Also, the capacitance terms can be used to model the impacts of indoor furnishings without having to enter them explicitly (this may very well be what you have done if your building is correct). This calibration procedure can be done with or without an HVAC system, however, measured data is typically necessary to perform an accurate calibration.

For example, if you turn off the AC system in your home and measure the outdoor/indoor T/RH for a period of time, can you calibrate the model of your house to yield the same T/RH profile. You have to get the building construction and all uncontrolled air flows (infiltration) correct before you start tweaking the model with other available inputs (e.g. air capacitance). The same could be said for when the AC is operating.

On 11/17/2010 11:43 AM, Lee Cleef wrote:

Thank you Richard!

I have set the ZoneCapacitanceMultiplier to 10 and the graph is much more realistic now. However, I still do not fully understand what this multiplier does. Have I just hacked my model to force it to work as I would expect or was something wrong with the capacitance of the air in the volume of my zone?

Thanks again

From: Richard Raustad <RRaustad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 17 November, 2010 13:20:40

You might try changing the air capacitance. See this object (I believe new to V6):

ZoneCapacitanceMultiplier:ResearchSpecial,
10, !- Temperature Capacity Multiplier
10, !- Humidity Capacity Multiplier
1;   !- Carbon Dioxide Capacity Multiplier

Or, if using a previous version, a different air heat balance solution method (see documentation):

The default if this object is not present in the input file is ThirdOrderBackwardDifference which may be susceptible to very small simulation time steps (due to rapidly changing zone temp). You could try a method which is less susceptible to variations in simulation time step.

ZoneAirHeatBalanceAlgorithm, AnalyticalSolution;

or

ZoneAirHeatBalanceAlgorithm,EulerMethod;