From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Huang
Sent: 18 February 2011 06:57
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: coy_mllr
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] modelling a dome

The title of your post caught my eye, because I worked on the same
problem, i.e., modeling a dome, nine years ago, although I was doing it
in DOE-2, rather than EnergyPlus.

As far as I know, all surfaces in any building energy simulation program
has to be planar, so I don't see how a pie slice would work,
unless it's automatically decomposed by OpenStudio into planar polygons.

What I did was to write an awk program that decomposes a hemispheric
dome with a given radius into a collection of polygons. It's written up
in an old DOE-2 User News article. See pp. 18-19 in

http://gundog.lbl.gov/dirun/23s_o_1.pdf

You would have to modify the program to output IDF instead of BDL,
but the fundamental math should still work.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D
Moraga CA 94556
(o) 925-388-0265
(c) 510-928-2683
yjhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.whiteboxtechnologies.com
"Building energy simulations at your fingertips"