RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: AirTerminal:SingleDuct:Uncontrolled

Hi, Vieira

Do feel free to send me your question directly.

The attachment was the .csv file of the simulation using design day sizing only and display the output in timestep interval.   You were using daily in the earlier IDF.

A number of statement you made did not make sense, because you were mixing up the different operation of each object.

I have been watching your questions and could not make out why there were so much problems, until you posted the IDF.  Now I know you have a large building and conditioning only one zone.

In EPlus there are groups of classes.  The zone, the system, and the plants.

The zone fan coils and the system fan coils looks similar but treated differently in implementation and linking.  I am not an EPlus designer, so I am not using the EPlus developer's language.

There five items in the control object: Zone sizing, system sizing, plant sizing, sizing DesignDay, and run weather file..

If there are zone equipment, the zone sizing must be done first.  If the fan coil is an AHU, then it is a system equipment of a Primary Air Loop.  At present, if you look at the SVG, it looks like a zone equipment, with no splitter and mixer to feed air to different zones.  Therefore some of the controls may not be linked to the system.

That was why I ask yu do you wanted to simulate one AHU per floor feeding multiple zones, or feeding the plant water directly to each zone.  Once you have decided on these, the zone sizing and system sizing and plant sizing objects can be correctly filled.  There may not be system, as the plant branches are the zone fan coils.  You may have an OA mixer box for each fan coil in the zone.

The fan capacity and the OA in intake volume are not related, because the zone or plenum return air make up the difference at the mixed node of the OA box.  default at 0.00944 m3/s (flow/person) is the minim fresh air requirement.  It is included in the calculation and used as a guide for the minimum air flow per zone.  It is also in the zone sizing object, I think.

The OA controller controls the inlet node damper.  The maximum you can have is the fan capacity of the system or the zone.  If you do use a controller, you may want to shut off the OA flow when the outside air is too hot or too cold, or to use the air as the system air  in the economy cycle, in the thermostat dead band.

Plant set points generally do not change the zone temperature control.  They are more a safety control.  You do not want the hot water to boil, and Chiller to freeze, etc.

Thermostat control depends on the equipment you have chosen for each zone..  The schedule need not be constant at one value.  Usually is 40, 25, 40 for cooling, and  10. 20, 10 for heating.  During the morning and evening, when the outside air temperature is not extreme, the air-conditioner can be switch off.

Heat recovery systems are not important, as you will need more capital cost, and the saving is minimal, if the fresh air intake is from building leaks.  You may study it as a research topic not a 'green' topic.

You should identify the heat source, and vent the heat directly to outside air during cooling and vented back to the zone during heating.   Mounting of the lights, shower room, dryer room, printer room, etc.  Solar heating is also of main heating to be avoided.

I think, I have written enough.  Do ask me again, and I shall reply you point by point using the IDF.

 Dr. Li