RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Zone FanCoils and an AHU

The main problem with your original concept was the use of the zone 01 thermostat for both the primary air loop and the zone fan coil unit.

That was the reason why I ask you to remove the fan coil unit in zone 01, the master zone.  This free up the thermostat to operate on the fresh air loop.

The other problem is the zone return air connection.

The air loop is connected to the zone via the ADT:uncontrolled.  There are two zone outlets.  Exhaust and return air node.  In the slave zones use the return for the air loop return, and exhaust for the fan coil return, or vice versa.  The fresh air is mixed in the zone, and does not matter how you return it.  The loop return air volume is controlled by the total fan capacity and the ADT setting.

However, the local loop and the common loop must have  separate return air node.  The names of nodes in the return air mixer are not correct, and need to be changed.  There should be two of them, one from each zone, and not from the zone OA mixer relief node.

If you wanted to shut off the local fresh air intake, simply reduce the zone OA inlet flow rate to a very  smaller value.  This can represent the building leak.   If you made this quantity large and  proportional to the floor area, then you will not need the fresh air intake.

Run the whole building  as Zone 03 and 04 with large OA intake, and remove the fresh air loop.

The CBVAV solution is to create a node for the air loop to provide constant temperature air to the zones.  That returns the zone thermostat to the master zone.   The added by-pass path is acting like a vertual zone for the air loop to adjust its temperature..

With this arrangement, it is not really necessary to have individual thermostat for the zones.  Because of duct warming, the temperature away from the AHU will be hotter in Summer.  By placing the AHU at the Westerly end of the building would compensate this effect.  In my design, I generally have two AHU's to feed the East and Westerly zones, with separate thermostat control.

This is design details, and has nothing to do with simulation.

 Dr. Li