RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] air-to-water heat pump in cooling operation

No, you cannot split the loops and make sub loops, the software does not support that.  Just put the DHW water use connection objects in parallel with the fan coils on the demand side of the hot water loop.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Meltem Bayraktar
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 9:40 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] air-to-water heat pump in cooling operation

Dear Brent,

Thank you for the advice. I have modelled my system with water heater for the hot loop and an air-cooled chiller for the cold loop as you recommended. The hot and cold loop provides conditioned water to fan coils in the zones. Now I need to integrate a DHW system to my model. In my project the same water heater (heat pump) provides hot water for domestic use, too.  I am not sure how to integrate this to my energplus model. I have uploaded 2 idf files to Problem_Submittals folder. The first one ( a-t-w_ Heatpump) show only the hot and cold loop simulation. In the second one( a-t-w_ Heatpump_DHW)  I have tried to split the hot water from the HPWHPlantTank into two loops where one feeds the fan coils and the other feeds the Storage Tank for DHW, creating two sub-loops. And they are connected with a mixer. The simulation returned a severe error  saying

** Severe  ** GetSplitterInput: Outlet Splitter Branch="HEATING DEMAND INLET BRANCH" does not match types of Inlet Branch.
   **   ~~~   ** ...Inlet Branch is on "Plant" on "Supply" side.
   **   ~~~   ** ...Outlet Branch is on "Plant" on "Demand" side.
   **   ~~~   ** ...All branches in Loop Splitter must be on same kind of loop and supply/demand side.
   **   ~~~   ** ...PlantLoop=DHW SPLITTER

Do you think splitting the main loop wasn't a good approach? What would be the best way to model such a system

I would realy apprciate your help.

Meltem