RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Heating and Cooling vs. U-value

Dear Vinay,

I would:

1.       Check and confirm that all inputs are identical except for “U” value. (I would make the heating system efficiency identical also to maintain “U” as the only difference.)

2.       If heating energy is still higher (for the lower “U”), I would report Predicted Load for each zone and also the heating energy at each timestep to find out where the differences occur.  Then I’d try to understand why the difference is occurring. Become very familiar with report variables as diagnostic aids!

3.       Keep in mind that heating energy may be used during unoccupied hours and even in the cooling season. Check those periods!

4.       If everything is proper with identical heating systems, change back to the two different heating systems and keep in mind that each heating system may have a different part load performance.  If you are using curves to define part load performance, it may be the case that one system performs less efficiently at part loads even tho