RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Model too big and too complicated? Part 1 - PC Performances

My opinion:

While CPU and hard disk speed certainly affect run time and I always like ?faster? more than ?slower? (in cars and games as well J), I find that most of my time for a typical E+ model is spent in developing and testing the model.  For these purposes, I never run an entire weather year until I?ve tested it thoroughly and am confident that it?s doing everything I require.  These partial year runs, of course, take only a few seconds to a couple minutes generally.  Because I have a million runs (or so) before I?ve debugged thoroughly and am confident of results, these shorter runs are a huge time savings.

Once I get to that point, the pressure is largely relieved and I run a full weather year and do something else (on another core or another PC) while it?s running.  Although the full-year run takes longer, a) I can do other things and b) there are not that many runs to wait for in a typical project.

In summary:  I think all of the model definition, setup and testing are 95% and the final runs are 5%.  If my PC was twice as fast I would save 2.5% maximum.

Make sense?

Is your experience different?

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx