[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Problem with removing reheat coils in VAV

got the file...

fist impressions:
combining a unitary unit with an extra coil is always troublesome.
there is an "in-built" setpoint manager in the unitary unit which you can't get to. this unit will put set-points on nodes to try and do it's thing even if the coil or unit is OFF for all days.

The only setpoint manager + controller that you have is on your ODA Mixer. I would create an extra controller and mixer for the heating coil.

I got a system to work with a unitary:heatcool where i turned off the gas heating coil, and inserted a water heating coil after the system...but it gave me many a hassel. see excerpt below:

!JMM VENTILATION 118129

  Sizing:System,
    118129 AHU,              !- AirLoop Name
    Sensible,                !- Type of Load to Size On
    0.016944,                !- Design Outdoor Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    1,                       !- Minimum System Air Flow Ratio
    7,                       !- Preheat Design Temperature {C}
    0.008,                   !- Preheat Design Humidity Ratio {kg-H2O/kg-Air}
    11,                      !- Precool Design Temperature {C}
    0.008,                   !- Precool Design Humidity Ratio {kg-H2O/kg-Air}
    14,                      !- Central Cooling Design Supply Air Temperature {C}
    34,                      !- Central Heating Design Supply Air Temperature {C}
    NonCoincident,           !- Sizing Option
    No,                      !- 100% Outdoor Air in Cooling
    No,                      !- 100% Outdoor Air in Heating
    0.008,                   !- Central Cooling Design Supply Air Humidity Ratio {kg-H2O/kg-Air}
    0.008,                   !- Central Heating Design Supply Air Humidity Ratio {kg-H2O/kg-Air}
    DesignDay,               !- Cooling Design Air Flow Method
    0,                       !- Cooling Design Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    DesignDay,               !- Heating Design Air Flow Method
    0;                       !- Heating Design Air Flow Rate {m3/s}

  AirLoopHVAC,
    118129 AHU,              !- Name
    ,                        !- Controller List Name
    118129 AHU Availability Managers,  !- Availability Manager List Name
    autosize,                !- Design Supply Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    118129 AHU Branches,     !- Branch List Name
    ,                        !- Connector List Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Inlet,  !- Supply Side Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Return Air Outlet,  !- Demand Side Outlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Supply Path Inlet,  !- Demand Side Inlet Node Names
    118129 AHU Air Loop Outlet;  !- Supply Side Outlet Node Names

  BranchList,
    118129 AHU Branches,     !- Name
    118129 AHU Main Branch;  !- Branch 1 Name

  Branch,
    118129 AHU Main Branch,  !- Name
    autosize,                !- Maximum Flow Rate {m3/s}
    ,                        !- Pressure Drop Curve Name
    AirLoopHVAC:OutdoorAirSystem,  !- Component 1 Object Type
    118129 AHU OA System,    !- Component 1 Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Inlet,  !- Component 1 Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Component 1 Outlet Node Name
    Passive,                 !- Component 1 Branch Control Type
    AirLoopHVAC:Unitary:Furnace:HeatCool,  !- Component 2 Object Type
    118129 AHU Furnace with DX Cooling,  !- Component 2 Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Component 2 Inlet Node Name
    118129 Unitary Unit Outlet,  !- Component 2 Outlet Node Name
    Passive,                 !- Component 2 Branch Control Type
    Coil:Heating:Water,      !- Component 3 Object Type
    118129 AHU Heating Coil, !- Component 3 Name
    118129 Unitary Unit Outlet,  !- Component 3 Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Outlet,  !- Component 3 Outlet Node Name
    Active;                  !- Component 3 Branch Control Type

  AirLoopHVAC:SupplyPath,
    118129 AHU Supply Path,  !- Name
    118129 AHU Supply Path Inlet,  !- Supply Air Path Inlet Node Name
    AirLoopHVAC:ZoneSplitter,!- Component 1 Object Type
    118129 AHUAirLoopHVAC:ZoneSplitter;  !- Component 1 Name

  AirLoopHVAC:ZoneSplitter,
    118129 AHUAirLoopHVAC:ZoneSplitter,  !- Name
    118129 AHU Supply Path Inlet,  !- Inlet Node Name
    118129 Zone Equip Inlet; !- Outlet 1 Node Name

  AirLoopHVAC:ReturnPath,
    118129 AHU Return Path,  !- Name
    118129 AHU Return Air Outlet,  !- Return Air Path Outlet Node Name
    AirLoopHVAC:ZoneMixer,   !- Component 1 Object Type
    118129 AHUAirLoopHVAC:ZoneMixer;  !- Component 1 Name

  AirLoopHVAC:ZoneMixer,
    118129 AHUAirLoopHVAC:ZoneMixer,  !- Name
    118129 AHU Return Air Outlet,  !- Outlet Node Name
    118129 Return Outlet;    !- Inlet 1 Node Name

  AvailabilityManagerAssignmentList,
    118129 AHU Availability Managers,  !- Name
    AvailabilityManager:NightCycle,  !- Availability Manager 1 Object Type
    118129 AHU Availability; !- Availability Manager 1 Name

  AvailabilityManager:NightCycle,
    118129 AHU Availability, !- Name
    HVACTemplate-Always 1,   !- Applicability Schedule Name
    12345,                   !- Fan Schedule Name
    CycleOnAny,              !- Control Type
    8,                       !- Thermostat Tolerance {deltaC}
    300,                     !- Cycling Run Time {s}
    118129;                  !- Control Zone Name

  AirLoopHVAC:Unitary:Furnace:HeatCool,
    118129 AHU Furnace with DX Cooling,  !- Name
    HVACTemplate-Always 1,   !- Availability Schedule Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Furnace Air Inlet Node Name
    118129 Unitary Unit Outlet,  !- Furnace Air Outlet Node Name
    HVACTemplate-Always 1,   !- Supply Air Fan Operating Mode Schedule Name
    80,                      !- Maximum Supply Air Temperature {C}
    autosize,                !- Supply Air Flow Rate During Cooling Operation {m3/s}
    autosize,                !- Supply Air Flow Rate During Heating Operation {m3/s}
    autosize,                !- Supply Air Flow Rate When No Cooling or Heating is Needed {m3/s}
    118129,                  !- Controlling Zone or Thermostat Location
    Fan:ConstantVolume,      !- Supply Fan Object Type
    118129 AHU Supply Fan,   !- Supply Fan Name
    BlowThrough,             !- Fan Placement
    Coil:Heating:Gas,        !- Heating Coil Object Type
    118129 AHU Heating Coil Gas, !- Heating Coil Name
    Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed,  !- Cooling Coil Object Type
    118129 AHU Cooling Coil, !- Cooling Coil Name
    None,                    !- Dehumidification Control Type
    ,                        !- Reheat Coil Object Type
    ;                        !- Reheat Coil Name

                                                                                 !using the enclosed motor at 1800 rpm     ASHRAE 90.1-2007  Table 10.8  (%)

  Fan:ConstantVolume,
    118129 AHU Supply Fan,   !- Name
    12345,                   !- Availability Schedule Name
    0.7,                     !- Fan Efficiency
    1781.818182,             !- Pressure Rise {Pa}
    autosize,                !- Maximum Flow Rate {m3/s}
    0.825,                   !- Motor Efficiency
    0,                       !- Motor In Airstream Fraction
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Air Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Supply Fan Outlet;  !- Air Outlet Node Name

  Coil:Heating:Gas,
    118129 AHU Heating Coil Gas, !- Name
    HVACTemplate-Always 0,   !- Availability Schedule Name
    0.8,                     !- Gas Burner Efficiency
    0,                       !- Nominal Capacity {W}
    118129 AHU Supply Fan Outlet,  !- Air Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Gas Heating Coil Outlet,  !- Air Outlet Node Name
    ,                        !- Temperature Setpoint Node Name
    !118129 Zone Equip Inlet, !- Temperature Setpoint Node Name
    0,                       !- Parasitic Electric Load {W}
    118129 AHU Heating Coil PLF-FPLR,  !- Part Load Fraction Correlation Curve Name
    0;                       !- Parasitic Gas Load {W}

  Curve:Cubic,
    118129 AHU Heating Coil PLF-FPLR,  !- Name
    0.8,                     !- Coefficient1 Constant
    0.2,                     !- Coefficient2 x
    0,                       !- Coefficient3 x**2
    0,                       !- Coefficient4 x**3
    0,                       !- Minimum Value of x
    1;                       !- Maximum Value of x

  Coil:Cooling:DX:SingleSpeed,
    118129 AHU Cooling Coil, !- Name
    HVACTemplate-Always 1,  !- Availability Schedule Name
    autosize,                !- Rated Total Cooling Capacity {W}
    autosize,                !- Rated Sensible Heat Ratio
    3.81,                    !- Rated COP
    autosize,                !- Rated Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    ,                        !- Rated Evaporator Fan Power Per Volume Flow Rate {W/(m3/s)}
    118129 AHU Gas Heating Coil Outlet,  !- Air Inlet Node Name
    118129 Unitary Unit Outlet,  !- Air Outlet Node Name
    118129 AHU DX Coil Cap-FT,  !- Total Cooling Capacity Function of Temperature Curve Name
    118129 AHU DX Coil Cap-FF,  !- Total Cooling Capacity Function of Flow Fraction Curve Name
    118129 AHU DX Coil EIR-FT,  !- Energy Input Ratio Function of Temperature Curve Name
    118129 AHU DX Coil EIR-FF,  !- Energy Input Ratio Function of Flow Fraction Curve Name
    118129 AHU DX Coil PLF,  !- Part Load Fraction Correlation Curve Name
    0,                       !- Nominal Time for Condensate Removal to Begin {s}
    0,                       !- Ratio of Initial Moisture Evaporation Rate and Steady State Latent Capacity {dimensionless}
    0,                       !- Maximum Cycling Rate {cycles/hr}
    0,                       !- Latent Capacity Time Constant {s}
    118129 AHU Cooling Coil Condenser Inlet,  !- Condenser Air Inlet Node Name
    AirCooled,               !- Condenser Type
    0,                       !- Evaporative Condenser Effectiveness {dimensionless}
    ,                        !- Evaporative Condenser Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    0,                       !- Evaporative Condenser Pump Rated Power Consumption {W}
    0,                       !- Crankcase Heater Capacity {W}
    10;                      !- Maximum Outdoor Dry-Bulb Temperature for Crankcase Heater Operation {C}

! DOE-2.1E, COOL-CAP-FT for PTAC w/ SI temps

  Curve:Biquadratic,
    118129 AHU DX Coil Cap-FT,  !- Name
    0.942587793,             !- Coefficient1 Constant
    0.009543347,             !- Coefficient2 x
    0.00068377,              !- Coefficient3 x**2
    -0.011042676,            !- Coefficient4 y
    0.000005249,             !- Coefficient5 y**2
    -0.00000972,             !- Coefficient6 x*y
    12.77778,                !- Minimum Value of x
    23.88889,                !- Maximum Value of x
    18.0,                    !- Minimum Value of y
    46.11111;                !- Maximum Value of y

! DOE-2.1E, RATED-CCAP-FFLOW for PTAC

  Curve:Quadratic,
    118129 AHU DX Coil Cap-FF,  !- Name
    0.8,                     !- Coefficient1 Constant
    0.2,                     !- Coefficient2 x
    0,                       !- Coefficient3 x**2
    0.5,                     !- Minimum Value of x
    1.5;                     !- Maximum Value of x

! DOE-2.1E, COOL-EIR-FT for PTAC w/ SI temps

  Curve:Biquadratic,
    118129 AHU DX Coil EIR-FT,  !- Name
    0.342414409,             !- Coefficient1 Constant
    0.034885008,             !- Coefficient2 x
    -0.0006237,              !- Coefficient3 x**2
    0.004977216,             !- Coefficient4 y
    0.000437951,             !- Coefficient5 y**2
    -0.000728028,            !- Coefficient6 x*y
    12.77778,                !- Minimum Value of x
    23.88889,                !- Maximum Value of x
    18.0,                    !- Minimum Value of y
    46.11111;                !- Maximum Value of y

! DOE-2.1E, RATED-CEIR-FFLOW for PTAC

  Curve:Quadratic,
    118129 AHU DX Coil EIR-FF,  !- Name
    1.1552,                  !- Coefficient1 Constant
    -0.1808,                 !- Coefficient2 x
    0.0256,                  !- Coefficient3 x**2
    0.5,                     !- Minimum Value of x
    1.5;                     !- Maximum Value of x

! PLF = l.- Cd(1.-PLR) where Cd = 0.15

  Curve:Quadratic,
    118129 AHU DX Coil PLF,  !- Name
    0.85,                    !- Coefficient1 Constant
    0.15,                    !- Coefficient2 x
    0,                       !- Coefficient3 x**2
    0,                       !- Minimum Value of x
    1;                       !- Maximum Value of x

  OutdoorAir:Node,
    118129 AHU Cooling Coil Condenser Inlet,  !- Name
    -1;                      !- Height Above Ground {m}

  Coil:Heating:Water,
    118129 AHU Heating Coil, !- Name
    HVACTemplate-Always 1,  !- Availability Schedule Name
    ,                        !- U-Factor Times Area Value {W/K}
    ,                        !- Maximum Water Flow Rate {m3/s}
    118129 AHU Heating Coil HW Inlet,  !- Water Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Heating Coil HW Outlet,  !- Water Outlet Node Name
    118129 Unitary Unit Outlet,  !- Air Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Outlet,  !- Air Outlet Node Name
    ,                        !- Performance Input Method
    autosize,                !- Rated Capacity {W}
    ,                        !- Rated Inlet Water Temperature {C}
    ,                        !- Rated Inlet Air Temperature {C}
    ,                        !- Rated Outlet Water Temperature {C}
    ;                        !- Rated Outlet Air Temperature {C}

!N4 , \field Rated Inlet Water Temperature
!\units C
!\type real
!\default 82.2
!N5, \field Rated Inlet Air Temperature
!\units C
!\type real
!\default 16.6
!N6, \field Rated Outlet Water Temperature
!\units C
!\type real
!\default 71.1
!N7; \field Rated Outlet Air Temperature
!\units C
!\type real
!\default 32.2

  Branch,
    118129 AHU HW Branch,    !- Name
    ,                        !- Maximum Flow Rate {m3/s}
    ,                        !- Pressure Drop Curve Name
    Coil:Heating:Water,      !- Component 1 Object Type
    118129 AHU Heating Coil, !- Component 1 Name
    118129 AHU Heating Coil HW Inlet,  !- Component 1 Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Heating Coil HW Outlet,  !- Component 1 Outlet Node Name
    Active;                  !- Component 1 Branch Control Type

  Controller:WaterCoil,
    118129 AHU HW Branch Controller,  !- Name
    Temperature,             !- Control Variable
    Normal,                  !- Action
    Flow,                    !- Actuator Variable
    118129 Zone Air Node,    !- Sensor Node Name !118129 Zone Air Node
    118129 AHU Heating Coil HW Inlet,  !- Actuator Node Name
    autosize,                !- Controller Convergence Tolerance {deltaC}
    autosize,                !- Maximum Actuated Flow {m3/s}
    0.0;                     !- Minimum Actuated Flow {m3/s}

  OutdoorAir:NodeList,
    118129 AHU Outside Air Inlet;  !- Node or NodeList Name 1

  AirLoopHVAC:OutdoorAirSystem,
    118129 AHU OA System,    !- Name
    118129 AHU OA System Controllers,  !- Controller List Name
    118129 AHU OA System Equipment,  !- Outdoor Air Equipment List Name
    118129 AHU Availability Managers;  !- Availability Manager List Name

  AirLoopHVAC:ControllerList,
    118129 AHU OA System Controllers,  !- Name
    Controller:OutdoorAir,   !- Controller 1 Object Type
    118129 AHU OA Controller,!- Controller 1 Name
    Controller:WaterCoil,!- Controller 2 Object Type
    118129 AHU HW Branch Controller;  !- Controller 2 Name

  AirLoopHVAC:OutdoorAirSystem:EquipmentList,
    118129 AHU OA System Equipment,  !- Name
    OutdoorAir:Mixer,        !- Component 1 Object Type
    118129 AHU OA Mixing Box;!- Component 1 Name

  OutdoorAir:Mixer,
    118129 AHU OA Mixing Box,!- Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Mixed Air Node Name
    118129 AHU Outside Air Inlet,  !- Outdoor Air Stream Node Name
    118129 AHU Relief Air Outlet,  !- Relief Air Stream Node Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Inlet;  !- Return Air Stream Node Name

  SetpointManager:SingleZone:Heating,
    118129 Heating Supply Air Temp Manager,  !- Name
    Temperature,             !- Control Variable
    -99.,                     !- Minimum Supply Air Temperature {C}
    34.,                     !- Maximum Supply Air Temperature {C}
    118129,                  !- Control Zone Name
    118129 Zone Air Node,    !- Zone Node Name
    118129 Zone Equip Inlet, !- Zone Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Outlet;  !- Setpoint Node or NodeList Name

SetpointManager:SingleZone:Cooling,
    118129 Heating Supply Air Temp Manager,  !- Name
    Temperature,             !- Control Variable
    -99.,                     !- Minimum Supply Air Temperature {C}
    34.,                     !- Maximum Supply Air Temperature {C}
    118129,                  !- Control Zone Name
    118129 Zone Air Node,    !- Zone Node Name
    118129 Zone Equip Inlet, !- Zone Inlet Node Name
    118129 Unitary Unit Outlet;  !- Setpoint Node or NodeList Name

!only needed if economiser is present in conjunction with unitary equipment...system 3 ASHRAE does not require economiser.
  SetpointManager:MixedAir,
    118129 AHU Cooling Coil Air Temp Manager,  !- Name
    Temperature,             !- Control Variable
    !118129 AHU Air Loop Outlet,  !- Reference Setpoint Node Name
    118129 Zone Air Node,  !- Reference Setpoint Node Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Fan Inlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Supply Fan Outlet,  !- Fan Outlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet;  !- Setpoint Node or NodeList Name
    !118129 AHU Air Loop Outlet;  !- Setpoint Node or NodeList Name (not reference node)

  Controller:OutdoorAir,
    118129 AHU OA Controller,!- Name
    118129 AHU Relief Air Outlet,  !- Relief Air Outlet Node Name
    118129 AHU Air Loop Inlet,  !- Return Air Node Name
    118129 AHU Mixed Air Outlet,  !- Mixed Air Node Name
    118129 AHU Outside Air Inlet,  !- Actuator Node Name
    autosize,                !- Minimum Outdoor Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    autosize,                !- Maximum Outdoor Air Flow Rate {m3/s}
    NoEconomizer,            !- Economizer Control Type
    ModulateFlow,            !- Economizer Control Action Type
    25,                      !- Economizer Maximum Limit Dry-Bulb Temperature {C}
    50000,                   !- Economizer Maximum Limit Enthalpy {J/kg}
    ,                        !- Economizer Maximum Limit Dewpoint Temperature {C}
    ,                        !- Electronic Enthalpy Limit Curve Name
    11,                      !- Economizer Minimum Limit Dry-Bulb Temperature {C}
    NoLockout,               !- Lockout Type
    FixedMinimum,            !- Minimum Limit Type
    ,                        !- Minimum Outdoor Air Schedule Name
    ,                        !- Minimum Fraction of Outdoor Air Schedule Name
    ,                        !- Maximum Fraction of Outdoor Air Schedule Name
    ;                        !- Mechanical Ventilation Controller Name