To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 07:48:16 -0400
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Chilled Water at 2 different Temperatures

Dear Jean,

I think there was a post several months ago regarding this same issue.  I am pretty sure that you cannot model two different setpoint temperatures in the same chilled water loop with E+.

Considerations for a  workaround:

·         The Chilled beam object does not object to colder water, nor does the water flow rate change as long as you maintain the proper delta T ? so energy should remain the same

o   You may want to revise the object parameters to make sure the beam performs the same as with warmer water

o   I know someone was asking recently in this forum (or Bldg-Sim) about modeling the dewpoint shutoff feature of chilled beams.  I did not follow that closely because I felt that most chilled beams systems (in the USA) will use a DOAS that controls humidity, making the dewpoint control less active.  Nonetheless, that may be a concern for you.  My not-thinking-about-it ?very-long workaround would be to monitor room dewpoint and raise the room setpoint during those periods.

·         You CAN use two different chilled water loops and may want to do so for your radiant loop.

o   Ideally, you?d like to take advantage of what is probably a higher return water temp from the radiant loop for chiller efficiency.  With two loops, this becomes more difficult, but I think you could make an approximation.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653