From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jean marais
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:29 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Major Hotel Renovation and ASHRAE 90.1

It's a breath of fresh air to hear about a reduction in win/wall ratio. Yes, I think you should model as per 90.1, and yes I think you will save loads of energy. Something we all know is that energy savings starts with the envelope. I hate having to explain over and over again that a window just isn't as thick as a wall. Even the best 3 ply glass will achive a u-value < 1.

However, check the EBOM userguide for deviations from the 90.1 Standard. They do happen, e.g. LEED guidelines for the treatment of district heat, will have you model a water coil with a system 2 PTAC which is gas-furnace in ASHRAE.