To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 05:03:43 +0000
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: DOAS is good... is bad

Thanks for your insights, Dr. Li. Yes, you are right, Dr. Li. The ODA required for split systems is really minimal. In Germany only a few spaces are reqired to have more air than needed for people (like showers and toilets. I find that previous trends of using say 2.5 Air Change Rate for fresh air requirements has fallen to sometimes below 1 (where previously even storage space was given at least 2 ACH). This is driven by new norms that try to encourage energy savings (EnEV 2009). The architects are under more pressure and our typical installation space height for a office corridor is about 1.2 m... and getting less. As we are usually required to have smoke exhaust (spaces larger than 20m2) of 10ACH together with sprinkler systems, it gets tight with installation. The chilled ceiling panels are hinged for access. They are a lovely luxury, but often a practical solution. Large industrial factories are known to use them due to the increased comfort factor that radiation gives, which then allows less heating or cooling to be implemented.

I've recently finished an interisting project, a 6 story office, where the radiant ceiling was a mesh of easily bendable and shapeable net of tiny PVC pipes which are "painted" directly onto the raw ceiling slab of the office space (giving loads of height).

Unfortuanately, this minimal air trend is causing moisture problems in summer as their is an increased risk of stagnant corners where the air does not move.