RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Meaning of SummerDesignDay

Hi, Malindo

Are you in Singapore?  I ask, because I am a Singaporean living in Canada.

In the day schedule, there are twelve daytypes.

Monday, ... Friday (weekdays)  Saturday, Sunday, (weekends), Holiday, WinterDesignDay, SummerDesignDay, CustomDay1, and CustomDay2.

In the long format, these are listed on twelve lines.

In the compact schedule, they are shortened to AllDays, Weekdays, weekends, allOtherDays.

If the schedule is to be applied to all day types, the AllDays is used.

When you have asigined a few special ones, say, weekdays, then all the other day types can be covered using AllOtherDays.

When you wanted to have the SummerDesignDay schedule to be the same as week days, then you list it with the weekdays  as "Weekdays SummerDesignDay".  These are unique names in the day schedule, therefore no space character  in each name.

When you are using the Sizing simulation using the DesignDay object, you can have two special schedules independent of the other day types.  In this way, the DesignDay for Winter would have WinterDesignDay in the day type field, and use SummerDesignDay for the Summer condition.

The data for the DesignDay object is in the .ddy file.  There are many of them with different statistical properties related with the weather conditioons.  The one with hightest temperature is used for cooling sizing, and the one with minimum temperature condition is used for heating sizing.

The data for the SummerDesignDay and WinterDesignDay are asigned by the user, and can be the same as the weekdays or weekends.   For sizing purposes, it is more reasonable to be with the weekdays.  Hence the line you saw in the schedule.

In Singapore, there is no Winter.  You can still use more than one  DesignDay simulation to study solar position changes, etc  I usually use four designDay objects to represent the tour seasons, to study how the solar beam enters the windows of a building.

You cannot run the DesignDay objects from the Run simulation for Weather File run periods, the last line of the Simulation control below:
SimulationControl,
    No, !- Do Zone Sizing Calculation
    No, !- Do System Sizing Calculation
    No, !- Do Plant Sizing Calculation
    Yes, !- Run Simulation for Sizing Periods
    No; !- Run Simulation for Weather File Run Periods
The details are in the I/O Ref Manual,  group schedules.

 Dr. Li