RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: OutdoorAir:Mixer questions

Hi, Jean

Your first points on simulation for buildings are good.

However, it is not the simulation processes that limits the presentation of real time result.

It is the software that limits it.  EPlus is schedule driven and only use feed back on temperature related variables.  Any other simulation you wanted to do are add on items.  All the input values are scheduled for a fixed time step.

That was why I added the day lighting as an example.  The program was not measruing the light intensity through the window.  It was calculating the intensity using the input value in the .epw which is a fixed schedule of TMY weather conditioon.

If you change the people object to CO2 object and use a schedule, the OA damper will be CO2 level controlled.  Then you have lost the "green" grading comparison base line.

You can do an add-on as you have suggested to show that CO2 detection and control will save running cost.  However, it is already included in the people object, if it is  the source of CO2 and OA dampler is already controlled by the number of people.

You have detached the source that generating the CO2 and measuring the level directly for the control of CO2 using OA damper. The DAOS was used for the same reason, fresh air to the zones.   The CO2 level is not scheduled, but is measured at real time.  How do you generate this operating level without using a schedule for EPlus?  It can be a CO2 reference file, which is still a annual schedule.  This is my point.  As soon as you use the EMS to change the schedule, the base line characterestic is lost.

If you do have a real time calculation introduced in Eplus for CO2 control, it will be another module which is optional for grading comparison calculation.

This is also the reason, I think, why the room air, inter-zone ventilation are not part of the  simulation for annual weather file energy usage.

The limitation is the EPlus software operation and not the limitation of a simulation process.

The comparison of energy usage is OA with people and without  people object dependency  as damper control.  In order to have OA demper control, some sensor must be used.  People counter at the door, CO2 level measurement of the room air. These are not in EPlus.

So CO2 measurement is required in real life as a sensor to implement the variable damper position based on people in a room.

This is my reason for warning people using VAV and VRV.  The sensors are not in the EPlus input.  The control equipment  for the VSD and VFD and VAV damper positions are not included.

 Dr. Li