[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: AFN How to Simulate Hung-Windows?

Dear Lixing,

if a hung-window is opened, the resulting effective opening area is one rectangular area and two triangles on the side - so i think for cross-ventilation (wind-driven) I might use the total area depending on the angle for the "effective area" model or, if the wind-pressure is strong enough not to generate any bidirectional flow, also the "detailed opening" model (Best may be to use a long vertical opening). May be the discharge coefficient has to be adopted. I am right?

The difficulty with the single sided bidirectional ventilation in combination with for example a bottom hung-window is that because of the resulting opening geometry (e.g. small triangular areas at the bottom and the bigger rectangular area at the top) the neutral pressure plane of that opening is more at the top and may be only 1/3 of the effective area is used for inflow (at the triangular areas).
So - to overcome this difficulty may be this neutral plane has to be shifted according to the geometry and opening angle. But may be there is some way around - like to use two openings which represent the hung-window. One for inflow - one for outflow. But this might be difficult to control. I thought may be you or somebody else in the support group has ideas how to model or read something about AFN and hung-windows...

Best,
Tobias