Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] A few questions..

Hello again! More challenging but good questions, I'll see if I can help;

1) Lets say, 2 story building model with 6 zones named 0.01, 0.02, 0.03 (ground flor) and 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 (first floor). No matter what I do in Open Studio, those zones information are entered randomly within Zones class of my IDF File, something like 1.03, 0.03, 0.02, 1.01, etc. The problem is that all of my Output data (Output:Variable) comes out in that same weird order! Is there any kind of way of sorting Zones class objects withing IDF file by name? In that case I suppose I would minimize Excel "tuning" of my .csv files and save up some time!

First, I would recommend not to name your zones with just numbers! Try and use text like first_floor1, it might save you trouble later on. And to answer your question, as far as I know there isn't any way to fully control the ordering in the IDF or in output files without programming.

2) Regarding WindowMaterial:Glazing, what exactly is Solar Transmittance at Normal Incidence? Is it the same as Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC), or Shading Coefficient (SC)? If not, how do you determine this value?

SHGC, or 'g-value', is the ratio of the total incident radiation energy, divided by the total energy transferred to the air inside the space. This energy transferred to the space includes the irradiation that passes through the window, but also, because the window will heat up, the heat transferred by the warmer window by convection and radiated heat by the window. The Solar Transmittance at Normal Incidence looks like only the first component - the radiation that passes through the window without being absorbed or reflected.

3) How can I determine/check an U-value for some of my constructions? In HTML file, what does U-factor with Film/no Film for opaque exteriors really mean?

Yes, the U-values are calculated in the HTML reports. Otherwise you can calculate them yourself in excel, from the layers in the walls. I always start a project with wall U-values in Excel. Each layer has an R-Value, and the sum of all R-Values in all layers of the wall is the no-film R-Value. The no-film U-Val is therefore inverse, U=1/R. However, for many references (ASHRAE), an additional inside and outside layer are added to account for the thin film of air that exists on each side of the wall. These films adds an additional layer of insulation, and physically depend on the wind and the orientation of the surfaces. There are standards available to estimate.

External Wall, Above Ground
    Type Thickness Conductivity R-Value
    - mm W/m.K m2.K/W
  Outside air film. vertical Air film     0.03
  Outside layer Gypsum plaster 12.70   0.06
  Layer 1 Common Brick 203.20 0.60 0.28
  Layer 2 RSI 1.2 board insulation 25.40 0.30 1.22
  Inside layer Face brick 102.00 0.60 0.08
  Inside air film. vertical Air film     0.12

  Overall U-Value: 0.613
  Overall U-Value. film-film: 0.561

4) If I request Output:Constructions, they are reported in *.eio file. How can I open this file and make it readable? What else is there in this file?

Don't know, never used *.eio

5) Does data in Zone sizing and flow rates (ZSZ) represent Cooling/Heating loads necessary for HVAC sizing or am I wrong? I've noticed that Zone sizing is reported within a 24 hour span so that would imply using a Design Day data, but what is the main difference between Zone sizing csv, and Zone/Sys Sensible Cooling/Heating Rate csv?

I've only ever checked sizing the in the HTML summary reports, so don't know this either.

Cheers,

Marcus
--
Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C