Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Representing Hotel occupancy

Hello.

Actually, you don't have to model 200 zones. Consider doing the following: build your model for only one story. For a ceiling surface of a particular zone, in the outside boundary condition, specify "surface" and enter in the object field the corresponding floor for that same zone. And vice-versa for the floor. This will give a good estimation for the intermediate stories. You can then use the zone multiplier to get the energy results for the sum of all stories, except the bottom and top one. This aproximation is acceptable if the zones are conditioned and the temperature won't be floating around too much.

Special attention should be given for the bottom floor and the top floor. The first one most likely has a very different layout, due to the entrance hall and other eventual differences. The top one, though might be equal to a regular story, it will have sun incidence on the top, so the ceiling must be given an outside condition boundary (and the ceiling eventually will have a different construction from the rest of the stories).

Also, you should look at the layout of a single story and lump together similar zones (with similar schedules for loads and occupation) facing the same facade, into one single zone. When dealing with the HVAC system, put on each of these lumped zones the total number of terminal and zone units that you need and the results should come out fine. These simplifying methods can be found in the getting started manual, take a look for more detailed information.

For a final note, consider shadowing effects from the building itself and from outside surfaces. They might compromise these simplifications, so some caution is needed when deciding what to simplify.

Pedro.