RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Energy Models for existing buildings

Expanding a bit on my earlier post:

I know it can be done (model an existing building) with most currently available software.  I have prepared energy models for existing buildings using EnergyPlus that matched the utility bills within 1% for annual consumption and with >80% R-squared correlation for the month-to-month energy.

That was not easy, however, and I spent way too much time getting those results!  I spent a lot of time detailing certain aspects that I later decided were not important enough to merit that time.  It also required a different perspective than is common for new building modeling; you can make a lot of assumptions for a new building model that will be completely wrong for an existing building.

There is precious little on the Web / Google about the ?big picture? process of modeling an existing building.  I suspect that this is because 95% of energy modeler?s attention in recent years has been directed to new buildings for LEED certification.

Nonetheless, I know many of you modelers have worked on existing buildings for energy audits and have developed a plan and procedures for doing this efficiently in a manner that assures reliable estimates of savings for your clients who are spending real dollars based on your predictions.

Still hoping to hear from more of you!

p.s., to Dr. Li, I used an Xray machine as an example of a non-typical, potentially high energy using equipment that does not fit typical power usage profiles.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx