To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:02:17 -0500
Subject: RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: What is the best modelling strategy ? I need help to clarify this issue!!!

Dear Jean,

It is interesting to me that you connect the graphical model to the discussion about combining zones.  I have thought the same!  On the one hand, many clients can spell ?energy model?, but have no idea what it really is.  On the other hand, because they have little concept, it is nice to have a visual image that actually looks like their building.  That?s rather tangible and says ?We modeled your exact building.  See how much it looks the same??

I am just completing a model of a 12+1 story hotel with 11 identical floors of guest rooms.  For this exact reason, I decided to model all 11 identical floors instead of modeling (bottom + middle x 9 + top).  The full year simulation takes 2 hours, so I?m re-evaluating that decision for next time!

As a final thought, when a project requires an energy model for LEED certification, I think that my clients are primarily concerned about the number of LEED points achieved, not the ?nuts and bolts? or a nice picture.  One of my past responsibilities was as a national sales manager for an HVAC equipment company, however, so I can?t easily put aside the sales aspect; it is important.  I think I will continue to create a nice image as much as possible.  I may even create the entire building in DesignBuilder so that I have the image, and then delete some of the middle floors for the actual model.  Don?t tell my clients ;)

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., BEMP , LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
616 450 8653