RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Question on Multiple zones per floors

EPlus has many components to simulate HVAC.  Because many users ask for components according to the ASHRAE guide lines without understand the implication, the syntax becomes more and more complicated.

Many components are schedule controlled without the control and driver element simulated.  In VAV for example, only the sensor locations are used to control a setpoint temperature or air volume.

Most users cannot figure out how to enter the names of the objects in the sequence of the program class listing order.  Therefore, the templates are introduced.  Using a few templates and the zone names, a complete zone, system and the plant sections of  IDF can be generated.

The problem now is that the fields in the template have many options.  User with no HVAC experience does not know what they mean.  If the IDF editor is not used to examine the options, many features are missed.

I am retired, and am not involved with the LEED certification, and is therefore not a member of ASHRAE to get their documentation.  As an electrical engineer, I have been involved with many systems of different sizes.  The largest one is those used for Wireless transmitter of magawatt capacity.  The tube or thermionic  valve is steam cooled, and the tower is mounted on top of a swiming pool, and pool water is used to cool the steam loop.

In my spare time I am helping some of the PhD students on the use of EPlus.  I have been following the EPlus development since 2006 when I of my former student who had started a PhD program, had problem using the EPlus.  EPlus has change a lot since then.

So if you have problem related to the coding of EPlus may be I can help.

Interpreting the ASHRAE document does not seem to be that hard, when a few of them were posted in the forum.

There are 16 RefBuildings in the example file folder for one location.  There are others for different climate zones in the EPlus home site.  That was the reason why I do not understand many users are generating the base line buildings.  The generated buildings are all different and with errors.

After your explanation, I understand the user problems a little better.  However, I am still not going to define my own base line building using the ASHRAE guide line.

For a large system, I understand the need to reduce maximum demand load in order to reduce the maximum demand charge by the utlity supplier.  This is cost saving and not energy saving.

 Dr. Li