From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen Walkerman
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:11 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Outdoor swimming pool

Hi James,

Engineering ToolBox has a better explanation of pool heat transfer than I think I can give:

<http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/evaporation-water-surface-d_690.html>http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/evaporation-water-surface-d_690.html ;

Also, a little thought experiment - when you get out of a pool, and the surface of your skin is wet, as the water evaporates, you feel cool.  Why?  The evaporation of the water must be removing heat from you, not just from the air around you.  In the case of the pool, there is energy transfer from the pool, TO the evaporating water.  If the surrounding space is very, hot then the evaporating water could also absorb heat from the air, but this depends on the space temperature, the pool temperature and the vapor pressure in the space.  Exactly how to split the cooling effect between the pool and the space, I'm not sure, but based on my understanding, under normal pool circumstances, most of the cooling effect is applied to the body of water, not to the surrounding air.

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov