RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] The purpose of doing HVAC simulation

Hi, Deuk Woo

I am an 81 years old retired EE professor helping the people in group 4.  In fact I have offered to buy a copy of EPlus source code for them, if they are really interested in developing their own module for simulation.
================
I did not quite understand the link which copied below:

My intention here is to have a single thread of will-make-you-a-better-programmer-just-for-reading sort of articles or papers or really standup blog posts that the writer has put in a lot of effort to distill (anything that will take you less than a day to read). I don't have the time to dig through the giant information crypts of the internet (most of the time) so if we help each other by placing beacons on the good stuff, we can all save time.

The idea is good, but difficult to find.  If one is dealing with a complex module, it would need quite a long tutorial to view.  EPlus have some tutorials for the earlier version.  They are a lot better then the U-Tube version.

User do not think that storing a large amount of data and read them on line is also energy wasting.

Must
  • influence (or at least cause you to examine) your perspective / outlook on programming.
  • be technology-agnostic (not relevant only to a specific community of programmers).
  • not be a plug for a new architecture, product or methodology.
  • not tied to a specific Role that supports programming. (How to do better specs/UX/etc.)
  • not make my brain hurt. Target an intermediate-to-advanced audience without assuming the reader to be a wizard at math / calculus

    Good suggestions.  However, learning EPlus is not learning a programming language.  IDF is a input file to the Frontran based modules.  It has very low overhead, energy efficient.  Do not need a GUI or Windows to run.  to you, it has a ?very uncomfortable interface?.

    I have not read any of the papers, and shall try to do so.

I see we already have 'What are the best programming articles?' and there is some amount of overlap (at least with the first page) _ I can't find words to articulate the difference that I want to convey. I guess the emphasis is here on the 'craft' aspect.
Hope enough people find this idea to be of some use and contribute.. or it gets voted/closed down and doesn't add to the noise.
=======================
On your other questions, I would say that the Eastern operators are more subjective in their job.  They follow safety guide lines, but would apply their own experience in other features.

For example, closing down the OA damper is in the simulation.  Whether it should be completely off or stop at the ASHRAE minimum OA requirement is optional.  There is enough leak and cracks in a building to provide the minimum OA.  The operator knows that closing the damper will not suffocate the occupants.

In a sealed basement, nuclear shelter, it would be different.

I do not think, the operators in S. Korea are less qualified, and made those changes.

A good system should be designed to be easy to operate, and warns when there is a possible dangerous situation.  I do not think that a US educated operator knows more.

"many advanced control algorithms " are not used, because they are not really required for the system to meet the local conditions.

Building managers need not be HVAC engineers, and they are not required to be one to operate a HVAC.  The operating manual should be providing the necessary information for the operator to use the equipment.  Because of Internet and Home pages, etc. , operating instruction manuals are now not sent with the equipment.

Advanced interface is usually a monitoring screen system.  Operator can monitor and has no control of the system.

I do not know the training availability in S Korea.  In Singapore, the technicians are well trained.

Users starting with third party software for EPlus  have more problems.  The New OpenStudio is smoving in the other direction by having multiple source  formats.  OSM is definitely not user friendly and energy saving itself.
These are not really the reasons for doing simulation.

I use simulation, because I can show the students and graduates who ask questions on how energy saving can be achieved by heating source control, external shades and ventilation without using air-conditioning, before the construction of the building.

 Dr. Li