RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Elevator and Escalator Energy Consumption and Heat Gain

The 10W I quoted was for the cell phone is the charging power of the adaptor unit. The home  base station uses more then the hand set.  The transmitter of the handset radiates a few milli watts of radio wave.  When I was sitting at the Singapore Standards Committee on these devices, the maximum power was recommended to be limited to 10mW.  This is why the working range to a base relay station is only a few hundred meters.  There are literally thousands of these relay stations to cover a city.

The radio transmitted wave power is only a fraction of the battery power consumed in operation.

Most hand sets need to be charged daily.  The heat from the adaptor is the difference in converting the 110v source to a 3 to 5 volt supply.  The transformer of the AC-DC switching convertor is using up the energy 24 hrs a day.

The radio effect is cumulative, and the nerve cell is also very small.  When you heat something in the microwave oven not every part of the food heats up evenly.  This is the problem.  The nerve cell tends to pick up the wave more then the tissues.  Some one would ask me, "how long have you been using radio transmitting devices."  I said, "more than 50 year."  The report would say "a person exposed to radio wave for 50 years and have no sign of ill effect."  The use of cell phone is popular only in the last few years.  Any report claiming 10 or 20 years are not relevant.

Motorola and some manufactures had tried to move the antenna away from the head.  Now, the antenna is is not visible.  So long you use a few minutes at a time, I think the verve will recover.

===============================

The stand-by energy of an elevator depends on the design.  Most elevator has a fan and the lights are on when in use.  4-20watt tubes and a fan would be about 100 Watts.  The control panel is like a PC board, typically 5 to 10 watts when idle.

20% usage is about right for a residential installation.  Only  one elevator out of four is moving while the other three are waiting on some floors.  The require torque is the difference between the car load and the counter weight.  The moving elevator usually is designed to have a large torque.  Typical elevator load is around 1000 Kg. (16 person)

A slower elevator in a building uses less energy in the long run.

========================

Manufacturer's catalogue is the best place to get the operational numbers.  Curve fitting using EPlus simulation is only for the certification comparison.  The curves are from the manufacturers data sheet in the first place.

The refrigerator in the kitchen is the main source of heat, as it is on all the time.

The oven heat is relatively low, as the insulation of a good oven is keeping the heat inside.  The elements goes on and off.  Chinese cooking is hot, but it last on

For Dr. Li:
When I was at university in 2000, I was told by my electrical engineering mates that the old cell phones had given out as much as 10 W, but the new ones only about 3. That's no authority to go on, but if you new how long you cell phone's battery lasts and the rated mAhours, you could probably work out the average dossing of Watts of microwave radiation that you are exposed to. I don't think it can be much. I don't believe anything in the press or what they publish about alledged studies. But for now I'm risking the radiation.

Actually, a lot of the time we are confronted with modeling an existing state. The design is finished. The HVAC is in. I think what the user was after were existing numbers for energy consumption of a running elevator and working x-Ray machine. I don't have those at hand as I'm out of office this week. My judgement would say that elevators only move 20% of the time during "day hours", if that much, but I don't have any concreate numbers at hand. I would wager that standby energy is negligable.

The right place to look is the manufacturer's data sheets for both x-Ray and elevator equipment. Jim pointed out kitchens. Wow, that would be perrilouse to forget. In my experience you're looking at about 450 W/m2 heat into the kitchen space. The rest goes out with the exaust air cooking hoods. This is about 40% of the total kitchen cooking heat. This can vary greatly. 15-40 %, as to how much goes into the space. Don't always trust kitchen planers. They're also trying to sell there equipment. The fatty air exhausts from kitchens are a sepperate air exhaust system. Note this relates to "hot kitchens"...not all kitchen space is hot kitchen space. The commertial kitchen often has walk in refridgeration units (again find a supplier to get the energy consumption). Also the dishwashing equipment. Modeling kitchens in a hurry is always painfull. Like people, a big unknown with big contribution to energy consumption.

Report back what you find so we can compare notes.

goodluck,

Jean